Tuesday, September 12, 2023

August Adventures and A Slightly Scary Start to September

If you were out of breath just ready my last blog post, hold on to your chair, take a deep breath and start reading the next chapter of my birthday month adventures.

My first adventure of August was a visit with the MD Anderson dermatologist. She mostly deals with skin cancer, but she was able to fit me in on August 2. After seeing her intern, I saw the doctor and they tried to swab some of the biggest wounds, but in NJ you cannot scrape a wound. Her words to me were basically, we are going to treat it as if the itching is from the chemo. If it works, great, if not, we'll know it is fungal in nature and treat it appropriately. Well, after I used the ointment prescribed for about 5 days, my feet still itched and itched and itched. Thankfully, my next appointment was on August 16. She took one look at my feet and indicated that we were now going to treat as fungal and prescribed a anti-fungal cream. Within 5 days, my feet had stopped itching and the sores on my feet started looking better. As of September 10, my feet look 100% better!!! Thank goodness!!!

The first weekend in August was another Triple Threat Theater adventure. On Friday afternoon, a long-time friend's daughter was in Willy Wonka Jr and on Saturday evening a a few young friends were in Cinderella Jr. Both girls did an incredible job!!!

Willy Wonka Jr.

Cinderella Jr.

My next adventure was how to celebrate my 60th birthday. Hmmm? ๐Ÿค” I really didn't need to think much, I had my favorite breakfast (Cinnamon Bun French Toast) at Ponzio's in Cherry Hill and then went to The Disney 100 exhibit was at The Franklin Institute in Philly. If you love Disney and the exhibit is near you... just go!!! And dinner was veal parmesan from a local restaurant in town. Yummy - Fun - Yummy!!!

Only a few of my pictures from The Disney 100 Exhibition

My next adventure was meeting my new GP, since my former GP moved to Florida. We had a great first meeting. She wanted a little of my medical history. I could give her a long, long talk. Ultimately, she felt like it would be better to up my one blood pressure medicine and take away the other medicine. Especially because my bp was in a good range. One less pill to take sounded good to me! She wanted to see me in 6 months, so I made the appointment, came home, and went to work. 

August 17 was my next adventure. It was on my first chemo after a cycle off. Although my CA-125 went up from 89 to 98, my oncologist didn't seem concerned. So, I went up to the infusion floor, got my infusion, and went home. No problems, etc. 

My next adventure was definitely a fun one. I donated to another team from the NOCC walk to go to a Phillies baseball game. Monday, August 21 the Phillies played the San Francisco Giants. It was an awesome game -- The Phillies won 10-4 AND Bryce Harper hit an in the park home run!!! It was a fantastic game!!! ⚾⚾⚾

Lunch adventures on the weekend of August 25 & 26. On Friday, I had lunch and shopping adventures with my friend NK and on Saturday I had belated birthday lunch adventure with another friend, WR. Remember, you should celebrate your birthday for the entire month!!! Thank you, dear friends, for getting together for lunch and laughs!!! And thank you everyone for the many, many birthday wishes!!! 

And this is where the story turns scary. The last day of August was to be part B of my chemo regime. I arrived in time for my 9am appointment. I was seated in the corner chair, and you know ... no one puts baby in the corner!!! ๐Ÿ˜ LOL!!! They took my vitals - temperature and blood pressure. My blood pressure was a high, so they took it again on the other arm. Still high. We waited for a several minutes and repeated the process. Still high. Waited .... still high. We did this several more times and it was always too high. My nurse said we couldn't do chemo that day and suggested that I go home and contact my doctor. 

So ... I went home, contacted my doctor, and waited for a reply. After speaking with her nurse and giving her my symptoms, etc., I heard back from the doctor, and she recommended that I take my blood pressure every day for a week and then send her all the readings at once. Thankfully, we had a blood pressure home machine, so I started taking my blood pressure. On Thursday, September 7, I sent the scary high results. Within an hour, my doctor called and said basically, your BP is way too high, I prescribed the medication that I stopped taking in mid-August. She also didn't want to tell me, but advised I should really get myself to ER so they could try and bring it down.

So ... off to Cooper Hospital ER I went. After getting my fashion forward bracelet, I sat down in the waiting room and talked and texted with several friends and family. I finally got called back to take my vitals - BP still too high - one of the ER doctors called me up and I had an EKG. I had my "Quilting makes me happy" t-shirt on and the tech and I started talking about quilting. I told her about The Philadelphia Modern Quilt Guild and the upcoming Pennsylvania National Quilt Extravaganza. She said she'd check it out. After that test, I was sent back to sit in the waiting room. While sitting in the waiting room, the man across from me had some sort of seizure. They had to bring a stretcher and take him somewhere. There was also a lady in a wheelchair with her significant other holding a pillow over her abdomen and weeping. I said a prayer for both of them. Then they called me back again. I had to give my medical history over the past months. The doctor even complimented me on remembering my medical history in such detail. They then took some blood and order a CT scan for my brain. I thought, do they think I don't have one??? LOL!!! ๐Ÿคฃ

Then they took me to a more private area in the ER where I had my own little recliner chair and a little bit of privacy. They brought me Tylenol and some water. I really wish they had asked if I wanted anything to eat!!! I was really hungry. A little while later, they brought me the pill of what my doctor prescribed. And there I sat. Thankfully, I had my iPad with me, and I could read or watch tv. They finally took me to get my brain scan. The girl did advise me that I actually did have a brain!!! Thank you, Jesus!!! I started watching football and ended watching Project Runway. Once they had all the results and they didn't think I would die, they released me, and I drove myself home. Since Thursday, my BP has gone down, little by little. My goal is 120 over 80.

Please pray that it will continue to go down so I can get my chemo on

Thursday, September 14.

Although it was in September, this was my last adventure before I wrote this blog. I walked in 25th Anniversary Together in Teal Run/Walk for Ovarian Cancer Awareness on Saturday, September 9. Thankfully, I got there just in time to participate in the run/walk. The run/walk is really a 5K, but they also had a 1-mile option and since I had just gotten out of the ER, I took the 1-mile option. To all my family & friends who have supported me, THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! However, it is not too late to support me. Let's imagine a world where woman ever loses her life to Ovarian Cancer.

In the middle pic, I'm on the first row at towards the far end

If you want to donate, here is the link to my page:   https://togetherinteal.donordrive.com/participant/SANDY-Perry

 

Throughout my journey with Ovarian Cancer, I have never doubted the power of prayer. Whether it's a prayer for our eternal salvation or a prayer for a sick friend, the Lord hears our prayers. The answer may not always be yes, but he always answers. Thank you to all who prayed for me while I was in the ER. 

Now if you could please pray for the following requests:

September 14 - Oncology follow-up & chemo A - Again, please pray that my BP has lowered enough to receive treatment.

September 28 - Chemo B - Please pray that my BP has continued to a regular level so that I can have this part of my treatment.

I love this song by Lauren Daigle, "Thank God I Do." These are some of the lyrics that hit home:

I don't know who I'd be if I didn't know You
I'd probably fall off the edge
I don't know where I'd go if You ever let go
So keep me held in Your hands
You're my safe place
My hideaway
You're my anchor
My saving grace
You're my constant
My steadiness
You're my shelter
My oxygen
I don't know who I'd be if I didn't know You
Thank God, I do.


Only by His Strength,

Sandy 

PSA --- If you don't know what your BP is, find out soon!!!






2 comments:

  1. You look so beautiful in teal Sandy๐Ÿ’™

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandy,
    Prayers for your blood pressure to come down and stay down. Hope you can take your treatment tomorrow. We didn’t know that you were in the ER. So glad that your new GP adjusted your medication.
    Love you,
    Beckie and Ed

    ReplyDelete